Monday 18 January 2010

Well, it's over a year since the last update. I've changed quite a few things.
Homemade blades, and the big fibreglass set, have made way for secondhand commercial blades off of Windsave machines, bits that were bought off eBay. I may be paranoid about safety but there you are. These bladesets are about 1.75 m diameter and are designed to run between 100 and 800-900 RPM, apparently. I bought two sets, one for each turbine. The first uses the bicycle hub motor I used before (new bearings though), rated 400W 36V at 400RPM, and the second is a scooter hub motor with a channel for a tyre round it, also 400W 36V but because of the smaller diameter it's at 750 RPM.

I'm flying them temporarily at 12V while I build a new 24V controller (the old 24V controller died somehow and took two new 110Ah 12V leisure batteries from a not-so-bad 25.9V to 7.4V overnight).

The divert load consists of four 7A, 24V diesel glowplugs inserted into 22mm copper piping on a domestic central heating radiator, hung in the garage. Not pressurised - you might just be able to see the open expansion tank at the top.

If it's a roaring success I might make a wooden stand for it and move it into the kitchen. Waste not, want not, and something to point to. Best of all though it's put together as compression-fitted modules which I can reconfigure, so when I finally manage to move house I might be able to preheat my hot water and reduce my bills a bit.

No comments: